American in Italy, expat, food, italy, life, opinion, tips, tuscany, Uncategorized, working in italy

Italy blogs I love

Embrace your inner tourist
Embrace your inner tourist

Embrace your inner tourist

When I first came to Florence, Italy – long before I ever decided to start writing this blog, I used to absorb myself in different blogs based here as inspiration. While now I tend to read a variety of both Italian and English ones, at the end time my Italian wasn’t so great and I was looking for perspectives similar to mine. Namely combing through stories of people who had started a new life, new job, new love in Dante’s hometown. I appreciate the local blog-o-sphere more than ever and want to share the love :-).

While some of the blogs I read in the beginning haven’t remained, after all many people have come and gone in this sometimes transient city. A product of life in a place that isn’t at all easy to actually live-work-support yourself.

Here is a list of blogs that I read on a regular basis whose words have made me feel at home, made me laugh or inspired me. And guess what, you should read them too!

• 1. La Vita E Bella Blog. I know I am biased because they Kate & Rob are friends of mine but I also love their {read-her} blog. They are a young American family who have chosen to live and work from Florence and their blog is about their life here. I have seen them from the beginning of their journey until now – and seen the blog’s transition as well.  They embrace the Italian lifestyle and give hope to those looking to start a family in il bel paese. Well worth a read + they happen to take amazing photos of life {and their beautiful baby girl} around town! Some of my favorite blogs of her’s include her Tuesday – tech talks {I always could use some tips} and though I don’t have a kid myself, I appreciate the time and effort they take to blog about handling Florence with a baby.

• Very well written art, travel blog & expat life by my friend Alexandra Korey.  I love her blog because she is a fabulous writer who actually makes me want to discover more about the art world in the city. She lets us know about cool night-museum-visit events such as this, cool street art in Berlin , and shares her sometimes hatred for Ataf (the local bus company).

• Driving like a maniac. Kate Bailward is an English EFL teacher in none of than Sicily. She has a beautiful knack for storytelling and as an avid reader, I think this girl has what it takes to write a great book. Plus she has a pretty self-deprecating sense of humor which I really appreciate. Some of my favorite posts of her’s include The Motorcycle Diary & the hilarious ‘How to go Speed Dating‘ .

SO now it’s your turn! What are you reading that I may have missed?

1. Elizabeth Petrosian
    31.07.2013 at 20:03

I am honored to be included in such illustrious company, Georgette–thank you 🙂

It’s also comforting to know I am leaving Florence in such capable hands: you’re all fabulous bloggers and will do her proud!

Un bacio,

2. Michelle
    31.07.2013 at 20:56

Thanks so much for the shout out Georgette! Your readers should also check out the excellent Bittersweet Gourmet by Amy Gulick (

3. Paige
    01.08.2013 at 1:06

I just returned from a 40ish day adventure in Italia. 12 of those days I spent in Firenze and LOVED, LOVED it. Right when I returned I started planning my next trip. Thanks for sharing these blogs as they will keep me company (here in Texas) in the interim.

1. ggnitaly84
      01.08.2013 at 10:55

Thank you Paige! I am happy you loved it :-). firenze is truly a great city. Where in texas are you from? I’m originally from San Antonio!

4. Cheoy Lee
    09.10.2013 at 13:48

Great post, Italy is such a beautiful place, desperately want to go back! Until then I’ll have lots of blogs to inspire me!

1. ggnitaly84
      09.10.2013 at 18:05

Thank you! I am inspired daily by these lovely ladies posts!

5. lizbert1
    08.11.2013 at 18:33

Great post, thanks! Just one question – where is the photo at the top taken as I’m coming to Florence in 3 weeks with a friend and would love to find it! Gerat view over the city too! Grazie!

1. NG
      23.01.2014 at 10:08

Although this may be too late for you Lizbert, the pic seems to be from Forte Belvedere going by

1. ggnitaly84
        23.01.2014 at 12:04

The only thing is I wish they would say when Forte Belvedere will reopen, for now its just ‘spring’

2. lizbert1
        06.02.2014 at 1:23

Great thanks! And not too late as I’ll be back in Florence in the spring I think so I’ll give it a look! Cheers!! Lizzie

1. ggnitaly84
          06.02.2014 at 14:45

6. […] blog (by Kate)  via “Girl’s” blog (by Georgette), when Georgette wrote a post on her favorite Italy blogs. Thankfully. Both are American women living in Florence (*insert twinge […]

7. ishitasood
    13.02.2014 at 11:45

Hi!! Loved ur blog posts 🙂 I visited Italy in September 2013 and I can say that I LOVE it..I can’t wait to go back soon someday … I wrote a lot of it on my blog. Please feel free to visit and keep writing more 🙂

Comments are closed.

Read previous post:
Locals I Love – Yasmine Hassani

It's about time for a little session of 'Locals I Love' and this week's protagonist happens to be a good...