culture, expat, fashion, italy, tuscany

Want to feel “cool” for cheap? check out the “Very Vintage” fair at Stazione Leopolda

vintagsel

I have to admit , I am not a huge fashionista. My “style” tends to veer on the “safe” side while occasionally wearing a funky scarf ( ok I am a little obsessed with earrings.. ) and always boots.  I do appreciate vintage items EVEN if in Florence vintage tends to equal  $$$ ..unlike the markets in Los Angeles I used to frequent.. I mean honestly, I am not going to spend 70 euros for una nonnas old chanel bag that was veryyy used, lipstick holders? oh yes!

That being said, I am a big fan of attending cool events while spending almost no money to attend ( because I don’t really have much.. tis the life of the young non wealthy working expat ). Sometimes Florence you can be what I like to call “rich poor” in the sense , you don’t have a lot of money but yet do cool things all of the time because they are free or you have a Mcgyver like skill to infiltrate them..

One such event is this all vintage fair taking place from the 25th to the 29th this month (2012 )  at the Stazione Leopolda in Florence. This will be the 19th edition of the vintage selection  and its one of the most prestigious markets in Italy. Merging the culture of vintage fashion and there will also be some quality re-makes and accessories as well..

This coincides with another Pitti event called Pitti Immagine Filati , which takes place at the same time as the fair in theFortezza di Basso . The theme of this fair is “Very Vintage” and includes a survey of vintage popular culture interpreted by a variety of people and will examine how retro vintage culture is now a part of daily life.

Tonight at Rex Cafe in Florence ( which i LOVE , by the way.. so very kitsch and cool , without the snob factor ) will be the opening party aka a “vintage night fever” and  a Dj set by Ghiaccioli & Branzini + InsertCoins.

Details about the Vintage Selection :

The nineteenth edition takes place from Wednesday 25 to Sunday, January 29, 2012.

opening hours : 10am -8pm

Admission 5.00 euros ( yay , great price for poor people like me! )
Coupons available here
address: the Stazione Leopolda in Florence, Viale Fratelli Rosselli, 5 Florence
other information available:

Stazione Leopolda srl, T +39 055212622
info@stazione-leopolda.it

there will be a happy hour from 5pm – 8pm during the event where Juke box enthusiasts can ask a “living juke box” to play some old tracks on vinyl. There will also be a cafe , catered by Convivium.

Check out the site linked above for a list of events , my personal favorite is from 3.00 to 8.00 p.m.:

TAG-AUTOMATIC
Visitors can have their photograph taken wearing the vintage clothing and accessories displayed inside an automatic photo booth and then post their picture on their favorite social network…cool!

and:

Saturday 28 January and Sunday 29 January 2012, 4.00 -5.00 p.m.
TUBALLO SWING
A project set up in 2010 by Ghiaccioli & Branzini (a DJ and a producer from Turin) and Antonio McVillan, the Italian Boogie Woogie champion and a dance teacher since 2009, that aims bring this type of dance into a dimension that is free from the theories of dance step technique and more open to the city. After a performance by some professional dancers, you can  take part in a swing lesson with music that ranges from classic Boogie to Electro-swing., so dance away!

facebook link for the fair

have fun!!! and maybe see you there 😉

1. Reply
    Audra
    22.01.2012 at 14:14

Oooooooooh I would be ALL OVA this. Divertiti!

1. Reply
      ggnitaly84
      22.01.2012 at 14:15

thats why you need to come visit firenze next time your in il bel paese! 🙂 , who knows maybe ill actually find something non troppo caro here!

2. Reply
    firenzemom
    24.01.2012 at 9:44

Reblogged this on Firenze Moms 4 Moms Network and commented:
    Check this out

1. Reply
      ggnitaly84
      24.01.2012 at 10:57

thank you for reblogging! 🙂

3. […] out for another night of bar hopping. Tomorrow we are going to a vintage market I read about here. I am hoping to visit some museums on Sunday and explore the city by myself a little bit. I also […]

4. Reply
    bwucinski
    28.01.2012 at 21:16

Reblogged this! Thank you so much for writing about this! I just arrived for my semester abroad in Florence and this was such a cool event to go and start it off right!

1. Reply
      ggnitaly84
      29.01.2012 at 11:07

I’m happy you enjoyed it, i think it can be hard to find updated info when in florence, on the internet it always seems to be from last year or even older ) so I feel like its my right to share really fun, cool events for those who are looking for something different. 🙂 enjoy your semester, its going to be one of the most amazing experiences in your life!

2. Reply
      ggnitaly84
      31.01.2012 at 14:29

I’m happy you did 🙂 there are so many fun things to do here and it just needs to be online and updated!

5. Reply
    stephanie parsley
    05.02.2012 at 15:30

damn it! I just fond this site now and need to find a 1950’s outfit for a hen party back in the UK for the end of Feb! So I missed the fair, but at least know there is a good ol vintage movement going on out there in Florence. I may pay a visit…. (from Ferrara). Thanks, Steph

1. Reply
      ggnitaly84
      05.02.2012 at 15:35

no worries! there are some decent vintage stores around town ( they can be pricey but here are my favorites!.. ), try http://www.elioferraro.com/vintage-clothing-selection.html, and http://www.pittivintage.com/ or http://www.cerivintage.it/, I’Chiodo Vintage Store , Via dell’Anguillara, 30, 50122 Firenze, Italy, Lady Jane B Vintage Boutique, Via dei Pilastri 32b