One week in August – a photo diary

12.08.2013 No Comments

One week in August – a photo diary

12.08.2013 No Comments

IMG_0450

Another week in August in Florence. Yes it is blistering hot and humid and walking up the hill where this pretty above photo was taking in the middle of the day makes me want to slightly die at times. But as you can see,  the view is more than worth it. What have I been doing so far this month in a deserted “zombie apocalypse” like city?

Always working, on the house hunt {that deserves a few posts for themselves}, dogsitting-housesitting, occasional trips to the pool, cooking, drinks with friends. All in all, my life doesn’t change much except for the increased numbers of showers I take daily {right now lingering from 2-3} and hating everyone who is instagramming their month in Greece.

Thursday I leave with Frenchy for a four-day excursion to Alghero, Sardinia. I-really-can’t-wait-this-is-me-super-excited :-). We will only be there for four days and during the dreaded ferragosto holiday. But who cares as long as I have somewhat of an escape this month. The first day we will be there we are staying at an awesome hotel – Villa Los Tronas on the waterfront as a special treat and I am already picturing myself sipping a glass of rose watching the sunset with my partner-in-crime. Is it Thursday yet?

Where we live like kings for one night! Villa Las Tronas, Alghero.

You better believe I will be blogging about Alghero and all of the crazy adventures we can cram in our short time there. Until then let’s concentrate on Florence. Since we all know how much I love to take photos, and … I just got a new camera. Let’s explore a week in the best city in the universe – Firenze Florenz Florence.

You would think that it being summer and the lack of air-conditioning would curb my appetite. Um, no not really unfortunately. I am a girl who loves food and food loves her, so early this week after seeing an Ikea advert – I knew swedish meatballs with a curry sauce, mashed potatoes in spinach needed to happen at my house faster than you can pronounce hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

I dare say a better presentation than Ikea, eh?

Of course this heat meant any excuse to go out for a drink – especially for the frozen or fresh variety was an absolute must. Happy hour at Tijuana mexican restaurant {6-8pm} means that I got this enormous margarita for 4 euros. I could live on these during August { I wish}.

My homemade margarita. Lime juice + cointreau + tequila = one happy Tuscan Texan!

Move over margaritas – what about my other fave, the cool as a cucumber Moscow Mule. Me and my Nana Bianca colleagues stopped by one of my new favorite places, Aurora bar in Piazza Tasso {hipster paradise – beards were quite numerous} for a round or two of Mojitos and Moscow mules. They make great ones with plenty of ginger without using a ton of sugar. AWESOME.

Wood table means they can charge an extra euro for their drinks

Since I pretty much live like a vampire during the week when its super hot – ie: I go out only in the morning and evening to avoid being scorched into the cobblestone. During twilight, I try to take the dogs I’m dog-sitting for on a daily walk in the field next to the house where they happily sniff anything in sight and I take pictures of cool twigs and ripe fruit.

Diego showing me the lay of the land
Penny – the world’s cutest dachshund
Gorgeous purple flower I found in the field

While checking out some potential rooms/apartments in Piazza Beccaria, one of my favorite areas in town – I spotted this detail on a palazzo on via orcagna and had to snap a photo. You really never know what interesting architectural details await you at any given corner in this city.

No Comments

June Finnigan 12.08.2013 at 11:42

Ciao Girl in Florence
    If you like romantic thrillers, I invite you to download my book ‘My Father, The Assassin’ by J W Finnigan from Amazon.UK, eu or com. Enjoy x

Jill 12.08.2013 at 13:58

My friend and I were at Aurora Bar on Saturday. It’s a fun little spot, isn’t it?

ggnitaly84 12.08.2013 at 15:38

It’s perfect for an outside drink. I like it!

bakeritalia 12.08.2013 at 14:46

Hummm AWESOME week and where is this Mexican rest.? Please!
    It is hot, mornings are beautiful, evenings glorious esp. When the breeze pops in but I’m like you….in my cave for the day trying to entertain two kids….I’d take the dogs they don’t talk as much!
    Have a fabulous holiday!!!

ggnitaly84 12.08.2013 at 15:37

thank you! Tijuana has two locations, one on via ghibellina 156, or on via il prato. Both are great! Me and my August pups are really enjoying the breeze today. It’s actually not that hot at the moment – woohoo!

bakeritalia 12.08.2013 at 15:57

That’s great, thank you!! I agree the temp is much nicer today for sure.

ggnitaly84 12.08.2013 at 15:58

absolutely! I just went on a long walk in the center, taking a break for work and then walk #2 later this evening. Gotta take advantage! 🙂

Buona giornata!

Susan 13.08.2013 at 18:11

If you want a laugh out loud read, try Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen. Absolutely hilarious! Have a great trip!

ggnitaly84 13.08.2013 at 21:44

ooooo with all of the stress around my apartment search and life in general, I need to laugh! Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Sonya Loya 13.08.2013 at 20:11

Does your kindle work fine in Florence? I have a Nook and I was wondering about that. I might move to Florence next year and I was worried about being able to use my e reader and cell phone.

ggnitaly84 13.08.2013 at 21:42

Yes mine works just fine, I get my books via amazon and its all super easy – thankfully!

Gil 14.08.2013 at 0:48

Great post and your pictures are as beautiful as ever!

Renuka 03.09.2013 at 8:29

Well, have a happy September! I am new on your blog and I am looking forward to lots of beautiful stories and pictures!

frankieandgiuseppe 05.09.2013 at 16:18

That’s extremely active compared to what I do if I’m in Rome in August, which consists of sitting in the dark with the shutters down drinking cold beer until the sun goes down. I also find that unfortunately the heat doesn’t curb my appetite and have never been able to do that Italian thing of having just a dainty slice of watermelon or an ice cream for dinner! Nice blog, I’ll be following from now on! Francesca.

ggnitaly84 05.09.2013 at 18:08

Thanks Francesca, due to this summer being much more mild than previous ones. I have been able to ‘beat the heat’ much easier this year. But I will admit that I have been known to lie on the cold floor on many a hot summer’s day. With the fan blasting me at any waking second of the day. It’s how we live!