American in Italy, expat, food, italy, life, tips, Uncategorized

Where to get ice coffee in Florence

How to spell 'georgette' at any local starbucks

How to spell ‘georgette’ at any local starbucks or um Arnolds in Florence

After reading a particularly annoying post about what the author appreciates about America after living in Europe in which I am personally convinced the person hasn’t lived in Europe at all or perhaps in some dark bubble in the end of a troll’s lair. Half the stuff they mention you can find quite easily if you have something called GOOGLE. Well maybe everything except ‘American Holidays’ but come on, that’s the whole point of being abroad, to embrace the different, no?

Hence,  I was inspired to write this post since yes, ice coffee does exist in the continent of Europe. And guess what, you can even find it in Florence, Italy! Italians usually prefer a ‘caffe shakerato’ which consists of freshly made espresso, a bit of sugar, and lots of ice poured into a martini glass. It’s pretty fantastic so I recommend trying this out on a hot summer’s day if you can’t get an iced americano, also don’t forget about another favorite, granita di caffe which is a staple in the south.

Back to ice coffee, I love it and usually make it at home {ice + coffee + milk = ice coffee} but if you have that caffeine need in the center of town, here are a few places where you can find a little bit of ‘home’ on your Florentine journey.

*This post is updated for 2017!

Le Vespe

This is more of a restaurant than a cafe but I adore Le Vespe and their coffee concoctions for a “taste of home” when I have a craving. Opened by a Canadian and Italian, they offer sandwich melts, brunch food, quesadillas, salads if you’re feeling peckish. address: Via Ghibellina, 76, 50122 Firenze.

Arnold’s Coffee

Piazza Unità Italiana,15 ( an additional entrance on the road from the train station to the Duomo). This new store from Milan – is basically the Italian ‘Starbucks’ with the good and the bad that the concept entails. I happened to be walking by the other day and wandered in after seeing a sign boasting ‘The American Coffee Experience’. It was 95 degrees out so I thought, why the heck not and ordered myself an iced Americano with just a little bit of milk. They put in a cup meant for hot coffee (perhaps they are waiting for plastic ones?) but otherwise it did the job. Here you’ll find lots of choice and free WiFi.

Ditta Artigianale

almondmilk

Iced-Almond Milk Latte – yes please!

I first wrote about this cool new hipster joint in my post about new foodie finds in Florence, and I am super thrilled that they also have a really great selection of ice coffee, including special blends with tonic water. This isn’t your average coffee bar, the creator is a world class barista and gourmet blends are available. When you enter the place, you almost feel like you have left Florence behind and entered a trendy bar in Berlin, Los Angeles or San Francisco, I also adore their raspberry cream cheese cake. Class all around at this place!.

Ditta Artigianale: Via Dei Neri 32, 50122 Florence, Italy: Open Mon – Sun: 8:00 am – 10:00 pm, Facebook, website. They also have a second (better location) on Via dello Sprone.

Now it’s your turn! What other great places in Florence serve ice coffee?

1. Jennifer Avventura
    30.06.2013 at 11:09

God the first thing on her list is “convenience stores,” as she can’t find snacks and headache meds in the same place. Like you’ve already stated, I think she has not lived in Europe…I mean really now, there’s many places along the hwys called AutoGrill! duh! OMG. This article is just getting worse: diet soda and ice! She must think we are all living in the stone age in Europe. And next … ‘Driving a car” again, like really? This author probably ‘lived’ in Europe for 24 hours. #10 blows my mind – 24H Drive-Thru and what to Europeans eat after 9pm. Well for started they are probably just sitting down to enjoy a lovely European meal at 9pm. Dolt. Law & Order, I think she’s been living under a rock while in Europe. We watch L&O every week! Household appliances? OMG! That’s right, in Europe there are NO laundry machines, nope none. Jerk.

This article (not yours, hers) is annoying. Thanks for pointing out this stupidity!

1. ggnitaly84
      30.06.2013 at 19:40

I always love reading what you have to say Jennifer :-). I really do question if the person who wrote that article ever really did live in Europe and if so, where??

2. risa kostis
    30.06.2013 at 11:09

News Cafe has an amazing iced coffee, along with all the other coffees they serve up. Free wifi and a very entertaining staff…I’m sure you’ve been, but if not, check it out!

1. ggnitaly84
      30.06.2013 at 13:31

Awesome I will check it out! Thanks for the tip 🙂

2. ggnitaly84
      30.06.2013 at 19:39

I have never been but I do need to check it out, thank you so much for the tip!

3. newmexicotoitaly
    30.06.2013 at 11:20

The lovely gals at Quelo in Santa Croce have started making me iced cappuccinos – yum!!!

4. ric
    30.06.2013 at 19:14

UGH! “The American Coffee Experience”. Can Starbucks be far behind??? I dread the day I see the first one in Rome but I’m not naive enough to think it won’t be sooner rather than later. Che peccato!

1. ggnitaly84
      30.06.2013 at 19:41

As far as I know starbucks will never come to Italy {and I am thankful for that}. This is an ITALIAN coffee chain that mimics the American coffee experience when it comes to the free wifi, chairs, relaxed caffe experience as opposed to the quick espresso shot which is A-OK by me!

1. D
        30.06.2013 at 22:31

Actually….. I thought the same. But http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=88256&page=1#.UdCUt_mG0rU
        Although most Italians I know worship Starbucks. Not for the “coffee”, but for a merenda or sweet-treat. I guess it’s only a matter of time. I can’t say I’m too up in arms about it, since….well, I like Starbucks from time to time. However, if it opens I doubt I’ll go because of the prices! I’ll make iced coffee at home for a fraction of the price and save up for a scone. 😉

1. ggnitaly84
          30.06.2013 at 23:18

interesting, I have heard the starbucks is coming rumor from time to time but honestly, i’ll believe it when I see it! The Arnold’s place I mention in the post is very similar but still retains a pretty Italian menu etc. I liked it!

5. D
    01.07.2013 at 9:00

Interesting about Arnold’s; I’ve seen it from the outside, too and was curious, Seeing your photo is kind of funny….it does look like Starbucks. lol. I’ll have to remember to stop in!

6. Paula
    09.08.2014 at 14:14

I hope Starbucks never ever gets a foothold in Italy. It would be like taking ice to the Eskimos as they say! It was bad enough seeing Macdonalds in the Galleria in Milan!
    Cross pollination of cultural ideas is great when the product is good, but very sad when it is rubbish.

1. GirlInFlorence
      09.08.2014 at 22:46

I don’t think they will ever come here, it always ends up being a rumor and at the end of the day they have so many great options here already when you are craving a cold treat (like a caffe shakerato!)

Comments are closed.