American in Italy, expat, history, hotels, italy, tips, travel, tuscany, Uncategorized, working in italy

Breakfast with a view on via tornabuoni

tornabuoni firenze

tornabuoni firenze

Discovering yet another rooftop with a view in Florence is my own personal holy grail. I adore any view overlooking my city and the one that I most recently discovered happens to be on top of boutique hotel Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni –  one of the famous ‘tower houses’ in the city.

According to their site ” It was built during the first half of the 13th century by the Guelf Family, the Ruggerinis, and was then inherited by the Fastellis and the Pietrobonos.  In the early 14th century the property was inherited by the Gianfigliazzis and remained their residence until the late 1700’s. In the twentieth century until World War II aristocrats and English intellectuals alike favored this hotel because of its central location in the city.

Luckily for me, my job at times takes me on some really neat adventures and this particular morning I spent having breakfast and working in their rooftop terrace. Bonus points since everyone working there is super nice and breakfast looked yummy enough to make anyone cheat on their paleo diet, just sayin!

I really love the idea of boutique anything — whether it be a vintage shop tucked in corner of a not-well-known street or a small hotel or B&B – it’s usually a better experience than a big name hotel that doesn’t care if you are a repeat customer or not. It doesn’t always determine better service but I often notice a difference myself, I think they have ‘more to lose’ than a big name brand so are willing to work harder for a customer to have that special ‘experience’.

Though it was January and chilly, the skies decided to pause its constant barrage of rain and allow me to enjoy a  few hours of a nice view with my steaming cappuccino. For that I was forever grateful.

Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni 1. Address: Via de’ Tornabuoni, 1, 50123 Florence, Italy
Phone:+39 055 265 8161
Website, Facebook Page, Twitter
Hotel class: 4 stars

1. Reply
    Michelle
    31.01.2013 at 11:11

Wow, stunning views, I want to have breakfast there! Is the cafe open to the public?

1. Reply
      ggnitaly84
      31.01.2013 at 11:27

honestly just call ahead and ask if you can come have breakfast or a coffee and I don’t see why they wouldn’t let you up there 😉

2. Reply
    expatsincebirth
    31.01.2013 at 11:46

Thank you for this beautiful views of “my Florence” ;-)! Have you tried the roof terrace on the Rinascente? Or the one on the Hotel Minerva, or the Terrazza Bardini (I think only in the evenings) or the Hotel Continentale? Oh, che nostalgia!…

1. Reply
      ggnitaly84
      31.01.2013 at 12:06

I have been to all three! They are all awesome, thought Antica torre & hotel baglioni are my favorites 🙂

3. Reply
    kat
    31.01.2013 at 13:10

Gorgeous! I’ve only seen Florence from above when I climbed to the top of the Duomo, this seems like a much more relaxing way to take in the views though! 😉 I think views of Florence are especially gorgeous because of the beautiful Tuscan hills you can see right at the edge of the city!

1. Reply
      ggnitaly84
      31.01.2013 at 15:33

thanks Kat! I never get tired of the view, there are so many awesome vantage points around the city so I aim to see/capture every single one of them ;-).

4. Reply
    G&B
    31.01.2013 at 15:56

Buon giorno,

Not only does this place sound wonderful, the view is wonderful. Is breakfast open to anyone or just hotel guests?

Grazie mille,

George

1. Reply
      ggnitaly84
      31.01.2013 at 23:47

I believe it depends on availability, I would email or call them and say that you want to take a look at the terrace and have breakfast and see what they say!

5. Reply
    Myria
    01.02.2013 at 4:34

Che bella!

1. Reply
      ggnitaly84
      01.02.2013 at 12:14

🙂 e troppo bella!

6. Reply
    Gil
    01.02.2013 at 5:16

Beautiful pictures! Florence looks better in your pictures.

1. Reply
      ggnitaly84
      01.02.2013 at 12:13

haha and in person I hope

1. Reply
        Gil
        01.02.2013 at 23:02

Your pictures look better that what I remember seeing in person. Maybe, because the last time I was there it was 40­°C and no breeze at all.

1. Reply
          ggnitaly84
          02.02.2013 at 0:21

yeah that would be tough! it was a nice day when I went..

7. Reply
    Chanel | Cultural Xplorer
    19.08.2014 at 9:54

Ahh I would have loved to have gone there but they said they only have breakfast for hotel guests when I called 🙁

Looks like I might have to stay here for a night next time I visit Florence!

1. mm
      25.08.2014 at 15:21

I would try asking if you can arrange tea or aperitif (as opposed to breakfast). but yeah staying there would be even better!